We’ve read the reviews across the web for Thryve and summarize the results below:

Universal Ranking

MetaScore: 91 (out of 100)
User Rating: 4.5 stars 
Expert Rating: 4.7 stars

Number of Ratings Reviewed: 208

Pros & Cons

Reasons to buy:

User Reviews

  • Easy to use kit includes swab, bottle, prepaid shipping label, and ship box.
  • Calling customer service with any questions is fast, easy, and they are very helpful.
  • Sample taking process is quick and easy.
  • Results come in 2-3 weeks which is pretty quick it seems.
  • Highly recommended for people with nutritional or gut issues.
  • Their website also has great resources about gut health and FAQs about the sample kit.
  • They give you a questionnaire that, along with the stool test results, helps them tailor a probiotic recommendation to you (that you can then purchase from them).
  • I love that they provide actionable data in their results.
  • The probiotics are great.

Expert Reviews

  • Their website is clean and easy to use.
  • Their company has an impressive advisory board.
  • The ordering process is a breeze.

Reasons NOT to buy:

User Reviews

  • The instructions are good but could be better.
  • The results are pretty generic.
  • It would be nice if there was more explanation about the results.
  • No warning when subscription is up for renewal and customer service didn’t provide a refund.
  • CEO appears to argue with his customers.
  • Whole thing feels like a marketing ploy to sell probiotics.
  • Kit came late.
  • Their customer service is usually helpful but sometimes drops the ball.

Expert Reviews

  • Their probiotic recommendations are based only 20% on your stool sample and the other 80% is based on your questionairre responses.
  • Their results described microbiome population as “growing” but how could they know that from one sample?
  • A single measurement of gut bacteria seems less helpful than if the measurements were on a schedule going forward.


Thryve allows you to test your gut microbiome with an easy-to-use at-home kit. The results come back within weeks and include food and probiotic recommendations. Their results are helpful and are used to provide customized probiotic recommendations. Their customer service is good but can sometimes be overwhelmed by customer spikes.